The Prospects of Green Energy Development in the Arctic to be Discussed in Moscow
On 14 October, the Green Energy in the Arctic Conference will take place in Moscow, with a business breakfast on the theme ’How to Achieve Carbon Neutrality in the Arctic’. Representatives of federal authorities, state corporations, Russian companies and foreign companies will take part in the discussion.
The conference is organized by the Ministry for the Development of the Russian Far East and Arctic. The event will take place as part of the Russian Federation’s Chairmanship of the Arctic Council. The operator is the Roscongress Foundation.
The pandemic has accelerated the development of green energy around the world. Many countries have opted to go down the decarbonization route as part of their economic recovery. Russia, given its geography, has great potential to develop alternative fuels and renewable energy sources.
The Arctic region has strategic importance for the development of green energy in Russia. The availability of unique natural resources, the accessibility of strategic markets, and the development of the Northern Sea Route combine to create exceptional conditions for the large-scale deployment of ecosystem development programmes around renewable energy projects. The implementation of these projects will help expand the export potential of the region while reducing the level of anthropogenic impact.
Among the key topics of discussion:
- How can we reduce the human impact in general and the carbon footprint in the Arctic?
- Can industrial development in the Arctic harmonize with this objective?
- How can we make the trend towards a green economy and the increased personal responsibility of citizens to reduce their carbon footprint more attractive to people and businesses?
The event will be attended by:
- Alexey Chekunkov, Minister of the Russian Federation for the Development of the Far East and the Arctic;
- Yuriy Vasilyev, Executive Director of the Arctic Technologies Institute, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology;
- Dmitry Gorshkov, Director, World Wildlife Fund Russia;
- Andrey Grachev, Vice President for Federal and Regional Programs, Norilsk Nickel;
- Nikolay Korchunov, Ambassador-at-Large of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation;
- Milena Milich, ESG Director of the Far East Region, Sberbank;
- Vladimir Panov, Special Representative for State Atomic Energy Corporation ROSATOM; Deputy Chairman, State Commission for the Development of the Arctic;
- Anton Poriadine, Partner, Leader, EY-Parthenon in CIS; Co-leader of Energy Sector, EY-Parthenon in Europe.
The discussion will be moderated by Ryan Chilcote, TV host and PBS NewsHour special correspondent.
Venue: Moscow, National Hotel, Moskovsky Hall.
Start of the event: 14 October, 08:00.